Tuesday 14 May 2013

Love what you do, do what you love.


I don't think it should be the business of any fitness instructor to tell you to do what you hate. This might sound like a controversial statement. After all, you say, doesn't everyone hate exercise? Isn't it a punishment that we inflict upon ourselves because we want flat stomachs, six pack abs and big biceps? I say no. I don't hate exercise, and I don't think anyone should.

I love to exercise, and I honestly believe that everyone, given the chance, does too. You just have to find the exercise that you like to do. I don't just mean the exercise you find easiest, but the one that you enjoy, and can return to and feel good about doing again and again. The simple truth is that anything you hate, you won't be able to sustain in the long term. You want fitness that will last your whole life, not a fad exercise phase that you point back to in twenty years and say 'that was the best shape of my life'. Fitness should be sustainable, exercise should be fun, and you should love what you do.

If you search, with an open mind and a willingness to try new things, I guarantee you you will find a form of fitness that you like to do. Whether its martial arts, dance, running, or even mountain biking, there is bound to be a path for you out there. Sustainable is the word of the day. If we follow sustainable diets, which we enjoy, and sustainable exercise, which we can look forward to, we will developed sustainable health, which will last our whole lives. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing valuable information. Nice post. I enjoyed reading this post. The whole blog is very nice found some good stuff and good information here Thanks..Also visit my page
    Neuropathy Doctors In NJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I found this, thanks to a tweet from Chris Highcock.

    It's a sad fact of life that, for some people, exercise is torture rather than fun. See http://nigeepoo.blogspot.com/2011/02/its-all-about-me-baby-1955-1997.html

    How do you undo years of aversion therapy?

    Cheers, Nige

    P.S. I enjoy going for a half-hour walk in the evening, so that's what I do.

    ReplyDelete